Migrating from HP to Meraki

JustinGA
Getting noticed

Migrating from HP to Meraki

Hi everyone,

i am in process of getting rid of HORRIBLE hp switches and moved to Meraki MS250s.

Ive never worked with HP switches, but I see that most of them have the following config:

vlan 1 untagged (computers, servers)

vlan 5 tagged (phones)

If this were to translate to Meraki world, would it be

Access Vlan: 1

Voice Vlan: 5

13 Replies 13
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not necessarily, if it is a Trunk or Hybrid port you can treat one as a native VLAN, which in the end is not tagged either.

The difference between the trunk and the hybrid is that the hybrid port can allow packets of multiple VLANs to be unlabeled. The trunk port can only allow packets of the default VLAN to be unlabeled.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

so on the HP switch, would it be setup as a hybrid port? is that what you mean?

If you have untagged VLAN 1 and tagged VLAN 5 on the same port, the probability is high.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Be careful not to assume the VLAN 1 ports aren't trunk ports and the VLAN tagging is being done on the devices themselves.

If thats not the case servers and client devices for security sake shouldn't be on the same VLAN so depending what type of switches they are getting or what type of firewall I would be looking to set up a layer 3 network and have some segregation. 

If you are familiar with it... is there anywhere I can go on the HP Switches to check this configuration? 

I went to Trunks and everything says it:

Admin mode: Enabled

Link Status: Down

It depends on the HP Switch Software version. Generally you can see it in the Port configuration.

alemabrahao_0-1701369022969.png

https://techexpert.tips/hp-switch/hp-switch-hybrid-port-configuration/

If It's a conware-based maybe it will help you.

automation-scripts/migratecomware.py at master · meraki/automation-scripts · GitHub

How many devices are there on the network? If its only a small amount and the configuration is to hard to access on the current devices you could just take a leap of faith and swap everything across and then work out making it work however I would NOT recommend doing this if you don't have a lot of experience with switches and networking. 

truthfully, im not really sure.. im doing this remotely while others are installing the new switches. 

but i have full access into the HPs at the moment.

I would be working out what model of HP switch they are and finding the user guide for the specific firmware version they are running and then decipher everything from there. 

In all honesty this should have been done before anyone arrived on site with new hardware. 

well the good news is that it hasnt started yet, im working on it now.

Im not seeing anything on any of these switches that show them as having hybrid ports. 

thank you for all your help

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can the phones you are using use either LLDP or CDP to configure their voice VLAN?

If yes, then yep, access vlan=1, voice vlan=5.

If not, then you'll need to use a trunk with native vlan=1, and vlan allowed=1,5.

If you don't have VoIP desk phones anymore, you can just use an access port for desktops and notebooks.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On the Aruba switches you can verify your VLAN config as follows:
- show vlans ports <portnumber> detail (then you will see ALL VLAN's on that port)
However if you are using comware based HPE switches you can do:

- display interface <interface number> (usually gigabitethernet 1/0/1 format a bit like a Catalyst)

Also on Aruba switches you can define a vlan as voice and that should also be visible in that first command.

So if you are sure each port only uses 1 data vlan and 1 tagged voice vlan you can use an Access port on Meraki with a voice VLAN.  If not then you need to use a trunk port with all necessary VLAN's allowed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels