MS 225 stacking

Solved
networkingat20
New here

MS 225 stacking

hello

I am stacking MS 225 switches 

the stacking cables are 100 cm which does not suit the layout of the cabinet 

Q do I need to use the stacking cables & stacking interfaces to stack or can I use any uplinks ?

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you use the uplink ports, it is only a switch-to-switch connection but not stacking. But the stack cables are also available in three meters: MA-CBL-40G-3M

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you use the uplink ports, it is only a switch-to-switch connection but not stacking. But the stack cables are also available in three meters: MA-CBL-40G-3M

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS 225 does not support Flexible Stacking only Physical Stacking and Virtual Stacking, so no, you cannot use an uplink port for the stack.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

thank you for this quick response 

Virtual stacking is a dashboard convenience feature.  It does not do anything on the backplane of the device.
So in essence the MS225 only does physical stacking with the 40G DAC cables on the back.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@networkingat20the Meraki official stacking cables come in 50cm,1 meter and 3 meter variants.
I have found that the 50 cm stacking cables can be connected between two switches on the back ports if you have no more than 4U between them.

So if you for example have a rack with a few switches and each switch is no more than 4U apart you can stack them by using 50cm between each switch.  In case of maximum 8U you can use the 1 meter cables.  However you still need to complete the loop by connecting the bottom switch with the top one again and usually you need a 3 meter cable for this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels