Meraki Switches and CCTV system

SOLVED
SamBadros
Conversationalist

Meraki Switches and CCTV system

Are Meraki Switches compatible with CCTV system like Pelco and Hanwha Techwin?

I know it sounds like a weird question, but I've a client asking for confirmation about that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

For me the question is whether Pelco and Hanwha Techwin require something non-standard from the switches they're connecting to. It's more likely that they know what issues they often encounter than the other way around.

Meraki switches support 802.3af and 802.3at which is the PoE-standard most cameras use. If the cameras can be powered based on one of those standards then I don't see any issues there.

They also have multicast support so I don't see no issues there either.

You'll just have to make sure you size the network correctly, both from a PoE budget standpoint as well as a throughput standpoint.

QoS and CoS rules will also help in case you're dealing with busy networks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

For me the question is whether Pelco and Hanwha Techwin require something non-standard from the switches they're connecting to. It's more likely that they know what issues they often encounter than the other way around.

Meraki switches support 802.3af and 802.3at which is the PoE-standard most cameras use. If the cameras can be powered based on one of those standards then I don't see any issues there.

They also have multicast support so I don't see no issues there either.

You'll just have to make sure you size the network correctly, both from a PoE budget standpoint as well as a throughput standpoint.

QoS and CoS rules will also help in case you're dealing with busy networks.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We use MS120, 210, 220 and 225 with networks that carry surveillance streams.  We mainly use Axis and Bosch cameras, though do have some Samsung so I think you'll be just fine as we've had no issues in months.  In fact they are excellent for this as you get good data on the streams, we picked up one quad FHD panoramic camera with a 24Mb stream...

Thanks BrechtSchamp for your reply.
No, they don’t require any non-standard thing from the switches, they operate normally like any other CCTV system like (Axis and Bosch).
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels