Meraki Switch WAN Breakout

SOLVED
ToryDav
Building a reputation

Meraki Switch WAN Breakout

Does this design seem copacetic? Right or wrong? I know these are not ideal for breakout switches. 

ToryDav_0-1614113872405.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The WAN side looks good to me.

Assuming the two MS355s are in a stack:

Personally, I would only connect each MX to a single MS355 otherwise you can introduce spanning-tree loops by connecting each MX to both MS355s.

I personally feel you are more likely to have an outage due to a spanning tree issue than a single discrete cable or port failure.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The WAN side looks good to me.

Assuming the two MS355s are in a stack:

Personally, I would only connect each MX to a single MS355 otherwise you can introduce spanning-tree loops by connecting each MX to both MS355s.

I personally feel you are more likely to have an outage due to a spanning tree issue than a single discrete cable or port failure.

ToryDav
Building a reputation

Thanks @PhilipDAth 

I was thinking about that too. They are set-up like the diagram now. STP is blocking where it should be with the redundancy between the MX and the 355's, but that is good point. The 355's are stacked. I can advise them to remove two links like you mention to reduce potential STP issues from occurring, but so far so good. 

I was concerned about using the public IPs on the WAN switches. Any concern there beyond locking down the local status pages on those devices? Not a huge fan of public IP's on the WAN switches for management personally.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I was concerned about using the public IPs on the WAN switches.

I have done exactly this before.  When I have done udp and tcp scans using nmap from a remote subnet I get zero response.

ToryDav
Building a reputation

*Sigh of relief* 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels