Meraki SFP Port Speed Option

Mirage
New here

Meraki SFP Port Speed Option

Hi, I have a Meraki switch that I would like to utilize the bandwidth to my Meraki  AP.

The AP is a MR44, and it can do 2.5G BASE-T Ethernet (RJ45).

My switch is MS125 with 48x1GbE RJ45 and 4x10 GbE SFP Fixed.

Is there a 2.5Gbps Copper Transceiver that I can put in there so my AP can fulfill it's potential?  Or do I have to use a 10Gbps Copper transceiver and it auto negotiates down to 2.5?

Or am I stuck with connecting it to my 1 GbE copper ports?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

3 Replies 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I see them online but not from meraki. This is the suported list. But it could stil work

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Small-Form_Factor_Plu...

Did you ever hit near 1Gbit up or down on any AP? You would need to use 160mhz channels to go past 1Gbps on a normal 2x2 wifi client

How are you going to power the AP? Poe adapter?

I personally wouldnt bother upgrading any non 6Ghz capable AP to 2.5Gbit

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't heard about transceivers that can do multigig in variable speeds.  The speeds on an SFP+ port are fixed at 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps depending on the module inserted.

If you want to run 2.5 Gbps to your MR's you actually need a multigig switch.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

There are mGig transceivers. I use this one in my devices and it's works great. I've used in MX 2.5 Gbps WAN ports and MS 10 Gbps ports.

The issue would be how to power the AP though. You'd either need a mGig injector or AC power supply.

All that said I doubt you're pushing your AP to a level in which you actually need mGig speed.

Ryan

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels