Meraki SFP DataSheet

Solved
dmiss
Here to help

Meraki SFP DataSheet

Hey Guys,

Could someone please explain what this doc means as far as Jacket: https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

To give an overview: I have a couple of MA-SFP-10GB-LRM (not purchased by me) but in the datasheet, 4 of them all have this same product ID. How am I suppose to know what I have??? On my SFPs I see that on the little handle that allows me to pull out the sfp, its orange. Could this be what the datasheet is referring to as far as "Jacket" (when i think of jacket I think of the actual jacket color on fiber). 

1 Accepted Solution
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @dmiss 

LRM's a a bit of a weird optic. There's only one part number, and one model. There's 4 lines because LRMs can operate over different types of fibre, with different performance characteristics. Each line in that datasheet if for the different types of fibre (om1/2/3 etc) that the optic is used on.

The jacket colour is the colour of the fibre, not the optic.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @dmiss 

LRM's a a bit of a weird optic. There's only one part number, and one model. There's 4 lines because LRMs can operate over different types of fibre, with different performance characteristics. Each line in that datasheet if for the different types of fibre (om1/2/3 etc) that the optic is used on.

The jacket colour is the colour of the fibre, not the optic.

Does that help?

Yes this helps alot--as I was told this exact thing, but it would not work over a SMF line that I had so assumed the guy may be incorrect in his info. Looks like I may just have to do some additional testing to see if I got a bad sfp. 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@dmiss wrote:

Yes this helps alot--as I was told this exact thing, but it would not work over a SMF line that I had so assumed the guy may be incorrect in his info. Looks like I may just have to do some additional testing to see if I got a bad sfp. 

Yup, that is incorrect. LRM will operate over both MM or SM. 

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi,

You seem to be right. I did a little bit of googling.

The color code are primarily to identify what kind of fiber we have have and the compatible accessory for the same.

In your case MA-SFP-10GB-LRM seems to be a Module supporting Multi Mode Fiber (OM2 Type).Wave Length.jpg

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels