Meraki MS220 fiber uplink not working

gingerbrown
Here to help

Meraki MS220 fiber uplink not working

I am trying to connect my Meraki MS220 to my router & a hifi streamer.

I have verified that the cable & modules are working using two media convertors, one connected via ethernet to the Meraki (in-turn to my router) & one connected via ethernet to my streamer.

When I switch the module & fiber cable over to the Meraki fiber port, I no longer 'see' my streamer on my network.

Do I need to configure the fiber port somehow or should this just work?

Thank you in-advance for your help! 🙂

19 Replies 19
gingerbrown
Here to help

I am using the top port marked SFP9. I see a small green triangle light up under the port when I connect the module & fiber cable.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@gingerbrown : Can you share the SFP model you are using and Is that compatible with Meraki ? 

Check below the various SFPs supported 

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

Thanks @Inderdeep 

It's a NETGEAR AGM731F Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM LC MMF Transceiver Module, recommended in this article, by someone who seems to know: https://alpha-audio.net/review/review-meraki-ms220-8p-switch-with-music-samples/

@gingerbrown : So how are you connecting, One end to Meraki MS220 and other end to your streamer ? Am i correct ?

Can you have two fiber strands, flip them on patch panel . sometimes we put like TX going to RX and RX going to TX.

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com

Yes, you are correct. The fiber cable has a fixed 'double' connector on it which prevents me from doing as you suggested.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 19.35.02.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@gingerbrown the connector is not fixed, the cables can clip out of the side of the joining piece.  But to check if you need to swap them point the cable at your mobile phone camera and you should see purple light coming out of one end, then do the same to the transceiver socket and compare.  The light coming out of the cable should go to the socket that doesn't have light coming out of it.

Ok, thanks @cmr too. 

I just checked & the light coming out of the cable goes to the socket that doesn't have light coming out of it on the Meraki. I also checked the media converter end, which is also correct.

@gingerbrown : Can you check the port there is enabled or disabled 

Switches > Configure > Switch ports ?

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com

I don't have access to the admin UI yet, unfortunately.

I haven't been able to add my MS220 to my Organization yet because the previous owner has not 'released' it, so it shows as "...already in use" when I try to register it.

I'm a bit concerned about whether he is even able to do this! What can I do if he can't?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@gingerbrown if the previous owner does not release it, then you cannot manage it and when his license runs out the switch will stop working.  Are you in touch with him, if so and he doesn't release it then demand a refund.  If you need any assistance I'd happily help explain why he hasn't given you the product without releasing it from the previous organisation.

@cmr@Inderdeep thank you both so much for you help & offer of more! The support I’ve found here is impressive indeed!

I’ve complicated the situation by having the power supply updated to DC, so that I can use an external linear power supply. So, returning it is not an option. 😞

I’ve sent the procedure I found in the Meraki docs to the previous owner to follow.

Best wishes,
Jason

Well you need to have admin access to the switch via dashboard, there are three things before we go anywhere else with this problem 

1) No link lights when connecting a device to an Ethernet switch port 

We need to check, Switches > Configure > Switch ports, clicking the port in question and check for port status ( Enabled or disabled)

2) Switch doesn't recognize a connected SFP module

As you said, it is already compatible, the status of that module can be seen in Dashboard under Switches > Monitor > Switch ports by looking at the port 

3) No power delivered to a connected Power over Ethernet (PoE) device
PoE can be enabled on a switch port in Dashboard under Switches > Configure > Switch ports

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@gingerbrown and of course i am with @cmr on this, make sure deal with the previous owner and we will be happy to assist you in any situation if we can : )

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com

@gingerbrown  I would be very cautious about looking at the end of a fibre lead, certain types can cause damage to the eyes. 

Re the fibre lead are you connecting it straight form device to device i.e. using a long fibre lead or is it going into a wall mounted panel?

Also if you log into your Meraki dashboard and go to port 9 on that switch does it show that it detects the SFP module, it should show the model and serial number of the module if it see's it. 

Hi @BlakeRichardson

Thank you for highlighting this, I wasn't aware of the risk. It's one unbroken length of lead.

See above, I can't access the Meraki dashboard at this time. 😞

Once I can, then I will follow your kind advice.

Best wishes,

Jason

@gingerbrown If the link is lighting up then I think its a configuration issue somewhere along the chain rather than a physical connection issue. I fibre link won't show a connection if the pair are backwards.

Good luck with getting access to the dashboard, I hope your able to resolve that soon. 

Thank you @BlakeRichardson 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels