Management Port on back of MS225-48FP and Out of Band Management

NickVardy76
Comes here often

Management Port on back of MS225-48FP and Out of Band Management

Hi to anyone that may be able to assist.

I have a 4 stack Meraki 225-48FP all up and working. I am curious about the Management Port on the back of switch that you can use to log into the switch locally should the switch lose connectivity to the portal. Has anyone been able too or know if it is possible to use this port for Out of Band Management? ie log into the switch via this port following a loss of connectivity to the Meraki dashboard? 

It seems this port issues the same IP address on all switches so not sure if this possible? Just looking for some advise

Many thanks in advance,

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you can connect all management ports to a switch. And shut all ports.  And then only have 1 enabled  at the time.

NickVardy76
Comes here often

Thanks for the reply. Shut all the ports? Can you then remotely managed the switches via the auto assigned IP via the Management port?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They all have the same ip 1.1.1.100 . So if you connect them to some kind of out-of-band switch you can get issues.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most companies I deal with leave these unplugged.  They are only used by walking up to the switch with a notebook and plugging the notebook directly into the switch management port.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am also right in saying that if you configure the Alternate Management IP address you are unable to browse to this Alternative Management IP. You can only use it for sending Radius, SNMP and Syslog messages?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels