Management Interface VLAN on MS switches

SOLVED
Anthony202
Here to help

Management Interface VLAN on MS switches

Hi there

Please can someone explain to me the function of an MS switch's management interface VLAN field (found within a switch's LAN IP settings pane):

Management Interface VLAN.png

Is it in reference only to switch-to-dashboard traffic (information the switch needs to communicate to dashboard and vice versa) or to management traffic in the sense of STP/RSTP, CDP etc

What type of traffic will the switch "tag" with whatever VLAN is specified in that field?

Also, is this field any different to the Network-wide "Management VLAN" field you can specify under: Switches > Switch Settings.

Anthony202_0-1591949554407.png

Thanks

Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The network-wide setting is what every switch added to the network will use unless you override it.

The management VLAN is used to say which VLAN to use for communicating with the cloud.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Switch_Settings#Management_VLAN 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The network-wide setting is what every switch added to the network will use unless you override it.

The management VLAN is used to say which VLAN to use for communicating with the cloud.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Switch_Settings#Management_VLAN 

Thanks @PhilipDAth 

Am I right in thinking they refer to the same type of traffic then - and this being switch-to-dashboard traffic (NOT STP/STRP, CDP traffic etc) - and just that you can override it at the switch level via that LAN IP settings pane?

Yes.

Thanks Philip. That clears it up for me (I need to stop comparing with Cisco!).

The LAN IP settings pane won't let me save settings without specifying a VLAN ID. I think it used to allow the VLAN field to be blank but obviously not any more. 

Just worried about possible 'double-tagging' when specifying a VLAN ID there.. I've been told that if I want a switch to be set with a management IP address in the subnet corresponding to the native VLAN used on trunk links between switches, I must leave the VLAN field in the LAN IP settings pane (management interface)  blank. Apparently, if you do specify the native VLAN's VLAN ID in that field it will result in double-tagging?

Anthony202_0-1591952046796.png

Thanks very much @PhilipDAth 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels