MTU Per vlan or Port base

SOLVED
KarstenA
Here to help

MTU Per vlan or Port base

Is it possible to run Jumbo frames 9K only on switchport or VLAN basis. Need this for a closed SAN network.

There are user vlans on that switch as well, change the default MTU size on the switch is no plausible 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

6 REPLIES 6
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could run Jumbo Frames switch-wide and have all ports but the SAN ones have the standard MTU. Unfortunately, that‘s not possible with Meraki. 😞

Maybe I've always misunderstood how this works. The default MTU size on switch settings is 9578. Isn't that already doing what you want?

I was always a little surprised to see that value, cause I thought I would have seen 1500 or 1522 there instead.

All my sites now that I think about it have that default value of jumbo frame enabled at the 9578. Starting to wonder if I should change it now lol
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring  is right - Jumbo frames are enabled by default on Meraki switches.

With dynamic buffer management I don't see any point in changing it.

The problem is that the packets get fragmented at the firewall (ASA 5512-X) we got some issue with Microsoft Teams / Voice when fragmented

But that did not answer my question, is it possible for Meraki Support Engineer to change MTU by Port and VLAN basis

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels