MS425 compatibility with Cisco SFP-10G-BXD-I and SFP-10G-BXU-I? single LC BiDi

Falcon70
Conversationalist

MS425 compatibility with Cisco SFP-10G-BXD-I and SFP-10G-BXU-I? single LC BiDi

I need to establish a redundant link between two buildings and I have a Single mode fiber duplex.
Cisco have SFP-10G-BXD-I and SFP-10G-BXU-I that allow transmitting and receiving on a single fiber thread.
Can this work on an MS425?

Juan Facundo Martínez
2 REPLIES 2
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Here is a datasheet for Meraki SFP. From what I have read, Meraki doesn't 'lock out' other SFPs, but as long as its a Cisco one, supposedly they will work. I think its one of those things you'll have to test. If you can use a Meraki SFP then that would be best.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would love to know if they work - but I don't think I would be brave enough to use them.

The reason is because they are not officially supported by Meraki.  So if Meraki do a firmware upgrade in a years time and they stop working - you have no recourse.

I've never used them for 10Gbe but the safest option would be to use a pair of media converts that do support this.  I'm sure something exists.

I have previously used a pair of Cisco routers to handle the BiDi optics, and then run them into the Meraki kit.  Everything fully supported, but that was at Gigabit speeds.

You could also consider using some low end Cisco Enterprise switches to change the media.  Something in the 9200 series family would probably do the job.  Will be much more expensive than media converters though.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels