MS355 Series Switches 10Mpbs?

SOLVED
Dkurtz
New here

MS355 Series Switches 10Mpbs?

Is it possible for the MS355 Series Switches to be configured to support 10/100Mbps PoE on specific ports?

If yes, can you please direct me to the appropriate configuration documentation?

I really appreciate any information on this subject.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

Just make sure that U have the auto negotiation enable on the switchport.

Johnfnadez_0-1581721528273.png

Johnny Fernandez
Network & Security Engineer
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

Hi,

When you connect a link In your switchport. It will negotiate speed against the device connected. So don´t worry about it. You have a switch that will support this speed without issues.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Ethernet_Link_Negotiation_on_Cisco_Meraki_APs

Regards

Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA
Johnfnadez
Building a reputation

Just make sure that U have the auto negotiation enable on the switchport.

Johnfnadez_0-1581721528273.png

Johnny Fernandez
CCNP | JNCIP-SEC | CMNA

Thank you for the snappy response John. Greatly appreciate it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To be clear - an MGig port will not support 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s,

So if you need this select an MS355 that also has standard Gigabit ports and use one of those.

Philip, thank you and understood. I'll go verify the specific model before proceeding.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth, small correction

Indeed mGig ports do not support 10Mbps anymore but they do support 100Mbps just like the mGig Catalyst switches do.

Also from the datasheet:

Multi-gigabit (mGig) ports support 100M/1/2.5/5/10G of bandwidth over copper cabling

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Dkurtz you can force 10Mb full duplex on the 1Gb ports but you cannot force 10Mb half duplex which has caught us out for one old device, time for a crappy hub I think...

John, apologies but I was just updated. Apparently the device we are connecting to does not support auto negotiation. Is there a way to "hard-code" the 10Mbps to a specific port?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels