MS355 Ports Showing Disconnected

jrhead
Here to help

MS355 Ports Showing Disconnected

We have an MS355 switch that is showing all ports Disconnected in the dashboard.  However, we have several devices connected and the switch is communicating with the dashboard.   All of the clients connected are getting to the network and able to get to the internet, so the switch is running.

This is the second time this has occurred with the specific device.  The last time we rebooted the switch and that resolved the issue.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

16 Replies 16
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @jrhead, are you seeing anything being dropped in your firewall logs?  If you’re confident in your setup and this is a recurring issue I would contact support directly. Possible RMA.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

What version are you running ?

I think there was a version at some point that had this problem.

Or maybe Im remembering the MS390 (with all the problems that platform has 🙂 )

@thomasthomsen - didn’t know that the MS390’s suffered some issues 🤣😂

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

🙂

I installed my first MS390 back in Nov. 2020 and I have hated the damm thing ever since, and never recommended it to any customer.

I mean, its really nice hardware, but the software *sigh* it never became good.

Lets hope things will get better now that the NexTunnel will be native to IOS17.15.x, it sure seems so, listening to the plans.

But I need to see just the plain "boring" L2 Meraki goodness on that platform working flawlessly before I can get really exited.

Likewise, never deployed one and never once quoted them. 

Well back then it was so nice to see a, clearly Catalyst switch, in the Meraki portfolio, because we where all thinking "it", even back then.

And the only reason we quoted it, was most likely because we, and the customer, thought: "more future proof" (something that you should absolutely never think in the IT world 🙂 ).

We have had "all the problems", from stacking failing, to having trouble updating the dang thing, the switch loosing connection to the dashboard, but still functional (until restart), and so on and so on.

I now, have "inherited" a customer that has the dang thing all over the place, and its always, "fun", especially when this customer does not really like to update switches, and that semi old MS390 software versions is "the worst".

I think from version 16.x a lot of good has happened, but its IOS-XE17.15 Im most excited about, features, stability everything will get better .... right ... RIGHT ?... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QhAZckY8w <- Sorry I ... HAD TO!! 🙂

🤣😂🤣

jrhead
Here to help

Running 16.8 and this issue occurred when it was running 16.7

Clients are definitely available because I was able to remote into one and they reply to PINGs

And the switch is online and "green" ? Can you use the tools on it, like ping and so on, its just the port-status that is broken right ?

Yes, I can PING the switch from the Tools and outside DNS like 1.1.1.1

Switch is online and they are telling me it has a green light.

Are the ports on the switch page greyed out, like they are disabled, or just blank black ?

Every port is black and when I hover over them, they show Disconnected.

It seems something fails to load then. I have seen this a couple of times, but it usually just "goes away" . How strange..., and we are not in some kind of unfortunate situation where its a browser thing ? - Have you tried to go to the dashboard from another browser, clearing all cache and other "junk" in the browser, or even just use Incognito mode ?

Going back through the release notes I have now realised that the bug I was originally thinking about was the MS390, and this one : 

• In rare circumstances, MS390 series switches may disconnect from dashboard until rebooted. Data plane traffic is not impacted unless RADIUS authentication is used (present since MS 14.28)

So right now Im not much help, its just strange.

jrhead
Here to help

Yeah, different browsers, different computers, different networks, different shoes...  OK maybe not that last one.  😉

Yeah Im sorry ... then perhaps the only solution is to call their support.

I highly recommend calling, because I think you might end up in some "packet capture" scenario thats best done "Live".

Of course the "reset" the device is almost always the first thing they will ask you, so be ready for that 🙂 - And I have actually had "reset" solve a problem once 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels