MS350 Warm Spare (VRRP) with dedicated LAN cable in between switch.

Solved
ChrisTan11
Conversationalist

MS350 Warm Spare (VRRP) with dedicated LAN cable in between switch.

Hi All,

We are in planning of implementing below setup, may I request any guidance with regards to the connection of the second Meraki switch since I do not have equipment for the simulation. We do not have Stacking cable for the MS350, can we use LAN cable instead for the set up.

ChrisTan11_0-1596259844462.png

My questions are:

1. Do the MS350 switch setup need a dedicated LAN cable for warm spare to pass the traffic?
  2. If there is a dedicated LAN cable between MS350 switch, the uplink of switch 2 Gi0/1 should be automatically blocked?
  3. Is the AP in switch 2 will still work based on the setup that will pass the traffic to the switch 1?
  4. What will be the configuration of the ports in dedicated LAN cable? Is below correct?
    1. SW1 LAN Port Gi0/2 – trunk with native VLAN 99 and all VLAN are allowed
    2. SW2 LAN Port Gi0/2 – same
  5. I have seen MX documentation using VRRP, there is a configuration of 1.1.1.1 and VLAN 1111, do I need to do this both in Meraki switch in LAN port Gi0/2?
  6. If we will not be using the VRRP configuration in MS switch, is the diagram connection still okay?

Regards,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

>Both switches MS350 will act only as a layer 2 if we do not have stacking cable, if this is the case means no need to configured with a warm spare

Correct.  VRRP is a layer 3 concept only (the switches have to be doing routing for it to be usable).

I don't know what the NSG devices are or do, or if they are layer 2 devices so I can't comment on what ports would be forwarding.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check out this guide.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview 

> Do the MS350 switch setup need a dedicated LAN cable for warm spare to pass the traffic?

No.  There does need to be a cable connecting them though.

>If there is a dedicated LAN cable between MS350 switch, the uplink of switch 2 Gi0/1 should be automatically blocked?

I don't know what your NSGs are.  If they are layer 2 devices and forwarding packets like switches some link will block to remove the loop, but there is not sufficient information to save which link that will be,

> Is the AP in switch 2 will still work based on the setup that will pass the traffic to the switch 1?

Yes.

>What will be the configuration of the ports in dedicated LAN cable? Is below correct?

I would make them trunk ports, and not touch either the native VLAN or VLAN allowed list.  They appear to be the core switches and I see no reason to place restrictions between switches in this environment.

>I have seen MX documentation using VRRP, there is a configuration of 1.1.1.1 and VLAN 1111, do I need to do this both in Meraki switch in LAN port Gi0/2?

No.  And I wouldn't do it on MX either.

>If we will not be using the VRRP configuration in MS switch, is the diagram connection still okay?

Yes.  However, I would strive for a layer 2 loop-free environment.  Their is not enough information about the other devices and weather schedule outages are ok or not.

Hi PhilipDAth,

Thank you for the info,

On your answer in question #6

Both switches MS350 will act only as a layer 2 if we do not have stacking cable, if this is the case means no need to configured with a warm spare.

ChrisTan11_0-1596336522427.png

If the UTP cable 1 or 2 loss its connection but not the power supply, is the dedicated cable will be active or will work on the switch and still online, both APs will be operational and can be seen in the Meraki Dashboard.

Regards,

Chris

>Both switches MS350 will act only as a layer 2 if we do not have stacking cable, if this is the case means no need to configured with a warm spare

Correct.  VRRP is a layer 3 concept only (the switches have to be doing routing for it to be usable).

I don't know what the NSG devices are or do, or if they are layer 2 devices so I can't comment on what ports would be forwarding.

Thanks for your shared info.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels