MS350-48FP SFP+ Port Issues

Solved
lbattilocchi
Conversationalist

MS350-48FP SFP+ Port Issues

Hi there,

I am fairly new to Cisco Meraki Gateways and Cloud Managed Switches. I have received 4 MS350-48FPs which were otherwise being thrown out by my company due to upgrades in our server room so I took them home.

I have an Ethernet-SFP fiber converter box connected to my home router from my ISP which gives me 1Gbps fiber out, and I have another SFP module (10Gbps capable) which I used to connect to my MikroTik Routerboard. Before I was using this MikroTik as a sort of SFP-to-ethernet converter, and then passing the ethernet cable out to the Meraki switch.

However, I am now in need of more ports on my ethernet, all of them with PoE. I was hoping to be able to use one of the Merakis to directly feed into my SFP fiber line and avoid having the MikroTik altogheeter, as it is also now causing problems due to IP address conflicts with other subnet I have aorund the house. However, I cannot get the SFP Module(s) working into the slots on the Meraki MS350-48FP. Nothing blinks (on either end, and there is no data transmission between the two enpoints). The SFP Module is detected as I see it as the listed device on the SFP+ Port when I check the Meraki Dashboard. I am sure the problem is not with the fiber/SFP modules, as everything lights up when plugged into the old MikroTik routerboard...

When the Meraki is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, everything works fine, but since this will be in a shed, I don't have a long enough Ethernet cable to stretch out that far.

Any help with this issue is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Regards,

Lorenzo

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you connect the SFP+ port to another of the Meraki switch's SFP+ ports does it connect, or do you not have any more transceivers / direct attach cables?

If not then is the port set to 1Gb, or is it perhaps trying to negotiate 10Gb, you can force it to 1Gb in the port config:

cmr_0-1588510962130.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have licences for the switches?  Without a licence they won't forward packets.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you connect the SFP+ port to another of the Meraki switch's SFP+ ports does it connect, or do you not have any more transceivers / direct attach cables?

If not then is the port set to 1Gb, or is it perhaps trying to negotiate 10Gb, you can force it to 1Gb in the port config:

cmr_0-1588510962130.png

lbattilocchi
Conversationalist

This seems to have done the trick! Thank you @cmr!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels