MS225 vs MS250

JustinGA
Getting noticed

MS225 vs MS250

hey guys,

We currently run ms250s at our main facility, but I would like to run some ms225s at our remote sites...

I know that the ms225s dont support L3, but I think thats about the main difference. 

Currently all over our Vlans are defined on Cisco Firepower anyway... so the ms225 should be a good option right? 

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it's just for L2 then it's ok. Go ahead.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are correct @JustinGA 

each model has the same number of 10Gbps uplinks, PoE budget and switching capacity.  For an extra few hundred £££’s on the 250’s you get L3.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS225 also has a single fixed internal PSU with the RPS2300 offering temporary failover.  The MS250 has two hot swap power supply bays so can offer true power high availability.

The MS225 does do static L3 up to 14 interfaces, but cannot act as a DHCP server.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not sure one this one - while the MS225 supports the RPS2300 - I don't think the RPS2300 is offered for sale any more, or if it is, it will end close to "end of life".

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just checked and it went end of sale on 31st May 😥

What is the point of the external PSU connector on the MS210 and MS225 now...? 🤔

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, I guess it is cheaper than EOL'ing the MS225 and releasing a new version.  🙂

Actually, I would like a new MS225 (MS235 ???) with some MGig ports.  4 to 8 MGig ports would be good.  Getting MGig capable switches is pretty expensive at the moment.  Something more "basic" layer 2 would be good.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, yes and thrice yes.  I totally support your MS235 idea @PhilipDAth 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels