MS225 blinking status light

Solved
ABaker
Here to help

MS225 blinking status light

We've been setting up a new site.  MX250 front end feeds to a PA then to a MS225.  From that MS225, I've got both copper and fiber feeds to three other MS225's.  The network functions, but the status lights continually flash white.  I did a code upgrade on the switches and that worked fine.  The ports that tie the switches together are set to trunk, same native vlan, and all vlans are allowed through.  I've taken the PA out of the equation and that did not change the status.  Looking at the dashboard for the switches, there's little gaps of connectivity.  I have swapped out the SFP where I had fiber connections from Cisco SR to Meraki SR.  The problem shows up on all switches including the first one in the chain.  Has anyone else seen something like this?

1 Accepted Solution
ABaker
Here to help

Problem is resolved.  The problem was back at our DC Concentrator side.  The switches that were alerting were part of a new IP range.  The upstream firewall from our DC Concentrator didn't allow for the switch IP's to reach the Meraki cloud as prescribed in the FW rules.  There was partial connectivity to the cloud.  The dashboard did show, when looking at the switches, that the connection to the back up cloud was being used.  Thanks to Meraki support for pointing out the issue.  

Thanks to y'all who took a stab at answering this.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

According to the datasheet, flashing white indicate that a firmware upgrade is in progress.

My Status LED is blinking WHITE 

A blinking WHITE Status LED indicates that the device is in contact with the Dashboard Cloud servers and is performing a firmware update. This can sometimes take 20-45 minutes or more to complete depending on hardware and other factors.
MS225 Overview and Specifications - Cisco Meraki

Does the dashboard indicate that you have any currently running firmware upgrades?

Did you notice the issue prior to running the firmware upgrade or only afterwards?

Which firmware version are you running?

You could try rolling back the upgrade and pushing it again to see if the changes it.

Managing Firmware Upgrades - Cisco Meraki

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Can confirm this. Lately I made an update on a couple of switches, after rebooting, they flashed white a couple of minutes, then went back to solid.

@ABaker I would recommend to roll back as well and try again, if you still have this problem.

I'll attempt to roll back and then re-upgrade onsite later today.  Not sure if "re-upgrade" is the right word, but it fits.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

did it work?

Brash,

The dashboard doesn't indicate that we're in the process of an upgrade.  The version on the switches is 14.33.1.  The issue was present prior to the version we're running now.

-Andrew

ABaker
Here to help

Problem is resolved.  The problem was back at our DC Concentrator side.  The switches that were alerting were part of a new IP range.  The upstream firewall from our DC Concentrator didn't allow for the switch IP's to reach the Meraki cloud as prescribed in the FW rules.  There was partial connectivity to the cloud.  The dashboard did show, when looking at the switches, that the connection to the back up cloud was being used.  Thanks to Meraki support for pointing out the issue.  

Thanks to y'all who took a stab at answering this.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels