MS210 lifespan

SOLVED
c4bleguy
Comes here often

MS210 lifespan

Hi all, just looking for an experienced view on the topic.

So far as I can see Meraki started selling the MS210 series switches about 2017/18?

I can see that Meraki hardware is starting to move to catalyst platforms, that makes sense.

You get roughly 5-6 years out of an access level switch (non-cloud) and with Meraki it's uber important that it stays supported.

What lifespan do you see on the MS210?  Would you still buy one?  If not what would you go for with comparable features. 

If buying one today do you think it will only be supported on the platform until license is up say 5 years time?

Again just looking for some insight from people who have that Meraki experience/knowledge.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Even when the devices are announced end-of-sale, you usually have six months to a year before they hit end of sale. Then you generally have five years to the End of Support. I believe this is correct as Meraki have aligned to the Cisco end of sale process.

However, in the Meraki world so long as you continue to purchase the license you can continue to connect them to the Dashboard, even beyond the End of Support. Meraki support may not be able to support every issue with them, and there won’t be any feature development specifically for them, but they’ll still work. 

To date there have been very few Meraki devices which have been prevented from connecting to the Dashboard, even if they are many years past their End of Support Date. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies:eol

I do even see that model in the EOL list yet. Related/non-related I've had Meraki MR34's since 2016 and it will be EOL in 2023 so you will have more than enough time to know when to upgrade. 

Enthusiast
c4bleguy
Comes here often

Thanks for the response.  I guess it may be a traditional mindset.

Switch gets released - X years of support - Replace switch.

Trying to understand if the 210's were released at x time what is the expected lifespan if on par with other switches in the meraki range.

Again this all in the knowledge that there is a move to catalyst hardware platforms which may accelerate some eol decisions.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Even when the devices are announced end-of-sale, you usually have six months to a year before they hit end of sale. Then you generally have five years to the End of Support. I believe this is correct as Meraki have aligned to the Cisco end of sale process.

However, in the Meraki world so long as you continue to purchase the license you can continue to connect them to the Dashboard, even beyond the End of Support. Meraki support may not be able to support every issue with them, and there won’t be any feature development specifically for them, but they’ll still work. 

To date there have been very few Meraki devices which have been prevented from connecting to the Dashboard, even if they are many years past their End of Support Date. 

c4bleguy
Comes here often

Cheers Bruce.

"However, in the Meraki world so long as you continue to purchase the license you can continue to connect them to the Dashboard, even beyond the End of Support. Meraki support may not be able to support every issue with them, and there won’t be any feature development specifically for them, but they’ll still work."

Your info in the above statement helps a lot.  Have to admit not quite the question asked but it's something I did not know and eases any pressure on the switch lifespan considerably.

Appreciated.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would still buy an MS210.  I'm going to guess a lifespan of 7 years.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels