MS125 connecting to ATA for faxing from MFP

Solved
johnjutte
Here to help

MS125 connecting to ATA for faxing from MFP

Recently upgraded to Meraki switches where we have a couple Grandstream ATAs serving as gateways to our hosted PBX for faxing. The ports connected to the ATAs are set as 'Access' the 'VLAN' is 1001 and  'Voice VLAN' is blank.

vLAN 1001 is our VOIP vLAN that comes from our ISP (they host the PBX). We connect to this directly from their ONT equipment. No firewall or traffic shaping between the ATA and our provider. I do have QoS enabled for the phone vLAN set to 'Trust incoming...'

I can send/receive fax from building to building. I can receive faxes from outside orgs and services. I can't send a fax to outside orgs or services. Kyocera error says: 

No relevant signal was received after transmission of a PPS (Q) signal during phase D of transmission, and the preset number of command transfers was exceeded

I don't think the switches are the problem, but they're the only change since this started. ISP says they didn't change anything. I believe the port is setup properly or should it be a Trunk, Native VLAN 1001, Allow VLANs 1001? 

Or did I screw up the uplink port to the ONT.. should it be a Trunk port? It's currently an Access port vLAN 1001 only. Does it make a difference?

1 Accepted Solution
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @johnjutte 

I can send/receive fax from building to building. I can receive faxes from outside orgs and services. I can't send a fax to outside orgs or services

Surely then this can’t be a network issue if you’re able to receive faxes and also send internal to internal.  With a hosted platform your internal traffic is still talking to the hosted/external PBX

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make sure all the speeds and duplexes match.

For example, if your ONT is configured with a hardcoded 100/full configuration, you need to match that.

@PhilipDAth I know those things matter, but settings are same as they were on EdgeMax switches when it was working. Ports have auto-negotiated to same speeds for the ATAs and ONT as before. It's not a new setup, just new switches. 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @johnjutte 

I can send/receive fax from building to building. I can receive faxes from outside orgs and services. I can't send a fax to outside orgs or services

Surely then this can’t be a network issue if you’re able to receive faxes and also send internal to internal.  With a hosted platform your internal traffic is still talking to the hosted/external PBX

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

@DarrenOC I agree with you, but I'm trying to not assume anything at this point. I appreciate the confirmation and I was posted in some way as a sanity check. Thanks.

I don't have a fix for faxing or an explanation for the sudden problem, but we ruled out networking as an issue. We ran multiple tests with ISP and Wireshark. Confirmed minimal jitter, 0 packet loss, sub 10ms return times, etc.  Port settings all line up and no filtered/blocked traffic. Apparently we have ATA that won't communicate like it should.  

ISP says this happens with other businesses and offered to provide analog lines instead (more consistent). We're going to test online fax service first though. Thanks for the comments on the sanity check. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels