MS120 handing out a random private address (192.168.45.0)

SOLVED
peterwarwick
Here to help

MS120 handing out a random private address (192.168.45.0)

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this issue before?  I have a user who usually works off of the wireless which hands out an address on the LAN (192.168.1.0/24).  For one reason or another, he was not able to connect to the wireless so we have patched him temporarily.

Upon patching we found that he was getting a random private address not associated with any VLAN on the corporate network.  Initially, I thought that the issue could be local and had the user show me that there was no static IP's on the network adapters of the PC. Normal ipconfig/release && ipconfig/renew had no effect. 

I have assigned him a static IP temporarily so he can work, but I still see the switch trying to hand out a 192.168.45.0 address.

Any ideas?

MS120 switchport access configMS120 switchport access config

thanks,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
peterwarwick
Here to help

Found out someone had started a DHP server on the network using the tag of 1, which was causing the conflicts.

All sorted now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
peterwarwick
Here to help

Found out someone had started a DHP server on the network using the tag of 1, which was causing the conflicts.

All sorted now.

@peterwarwick  I suggest you setup the below alert within your dashboard.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 1.18.17 PM.png

You can also lock down your network to known authorized DHCP servers only, completely preventing rogues from ever happening.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/MS_DHCP_Servers

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels