MS L3 interfaces MAC addresses?

Yanik
Just browsing

MS L3 interfaces MAC addresses?

Hello,

I'm using MS250 stacks as L3 switches, so I have L3 interfaces configured at the stack level for each VLAN.

I've been requested to provide the MAC addresses of each IP associated to the interface on the VLANs, but so far, the only solution I found is to get the MAC from the ARP table of a devices in the LAN, which is not convenient at all, especially that I don't have access to devices in some VLAN.

And the worst part is that looking for this MAC in the MAC address table of the stack doesn't return anything.

Also, nothing tells me how this MAC is built up, if it is persistent, if it changes when the switch/stack reboots or following an upgrade.

I've checked:

• In the dashboard
  • through the API
  • In the documentation
  • In the forum

But was not able to find answers to this question. Does anybody have a solution to this?

Best regards,

Yanik

2 Replies 2
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Yanik I think it relates to the stack master, which is usually the switch with the lowest MAC address (from memory) and therefore only changes if you have a stack member fail or you change the members of the stack.

Yanik
Just browsing

Hello @cmr, not sure this concept of master switch with lowest MAC address works in Meraki context, probably more related to Catalysts.

And the MAC addresses I found in device's ARP table have nothing to do with the MS physical addresses.

Also, it appears that the same MAC address on one stack is used for all L3 Interfaces.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels