MR VLAN Tagging & MS Switch Port Configuration

SOLVED
Erik_R
Here to help

MR VLAN Tagging & MS Switch Port Configuration

Hello.  I will be using VLAN tagging on a couple of SSIDs.  I created a VLAN of 511 (Management) on my switch stack as well as the respective static route on the MX.  The VLANs for the SSIDs will be 501 and 502.  Regarding the port that the MR access point will connect to on the switch, it will be configured as a trunk port. 

Scenario 1 - set the native VLAN on this switch port to 511 (Management VLAN) and allow 501, 502, 511?

OR

Scenario 2 - set the native VLAN to 1, allow (1, 501, 502, 511) and then set the VLAN ID on the MR access point's IP configuration tab to 511?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Use 1, mr's like the management as native

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Use 1, mr's like the management as native

Erik_R
Here to help

So, native VLAN of 1 and then set the VLAN on the IP address tab of the AP to the correct management VLAN of 511?

VLAN 1 does not really exist, meaning there is no subnet defined, so where would it grab an IP address from?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww  was suggesting using the native vlan of 511 on the trunk port (as you specified in scenario one).

Really, either will work. Scenario one is just slightly easier from a configuration management perspective.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Scenario 1 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels