MA-SPF-10G-LRM with SFP-10G-LR-S

lhodovan
New here

MA-SPF-10G-LRM with SFP-10G-LR-S

Hi Guys,

My question is if i can connect MA-SPF-10G-LRM (300m) plugged in to MS225 switch with SFP-10G-LR-S (10km) plugged in to SX550 small business switch? 

My problem is with the different distance. 

Or what do you mean the SFP-10G-LR-S can work with MS225 switch?

Thank you in advance,

Laszlo

6 REPLIES 6
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer for sure, but I think it is 99% unlikely.

You need the same type of lasers on each end.  So either both LRM, or both LR-S.

What distance do you want to cover, and do you have multimode or single-mode fibre?

The problem is that the Small business swith not support LRM and the meraki switch not support LR-s? 

So what can i do in this case? I need to use single mode 250m the max distance.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am pretty sure you will need matching pairs at each end. The wave lengths are likely different. 

Matlyna
Conversationalist

LRM to LRM only for most cisco products as well as servers.

Very few instances can you use LRM to SR or LRM to LR. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've looked into this further, and I believe if you use MA-SFP-10GB-LR on the Meraki side it will be compatible with SFP-10G-LR-S on the small business side.

The "-S" optics have the same lasers as the non "-S" models.  The only real difference is the "-S" models don't support FCoE and are only designed to operate at "commercial" temperatures.

You can read more about the "-S" differences here:

https://community.fs.com/blog/cisco-10g-s-class-vs-non-s-class-modules-how-to-choose.html 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels