MA-SFP-10GB-LR Port speeds

SOLVED
CP66
Here to help

MA-SFP-10GB-LR Port speeds

Customer has MS350-48FP switches and the customer ordered MA-SFP-10GB-LR SFP's.  Will these SFP's run at 100MB and/or 1GB?  The customer has fiber connections that are 100MB and 1GB and instead of buying MA-SFP-1GB-LX10 for the 1GB connection they just bought all 10GB SFP's.  Thank you in advance!   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>The customer has fiber connections that are 100MB and 1GB

You will need to buy matching optics.  You wont be able to use the 10Gbe optic (all they can upgrade the optic at the other end to 10Gbe).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Oddly enough, from what I have seen, you can manually configure the speeds like 100 or 1000 on the port with a 10G module, but you can't hard code 10Gbps which seems strange lol. You have to leave it auto for that.

Adding @PhilipDAth since I believe he has experience with this
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Even funnier - the optical port can only operate at exactly one speed - 10Gbe.  Even though it has options to configure it to 100 or 1000 - they don't work.

Thank you both.  I was not sure about the auto feature if it would connect at a slower speed or not.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>The customer has fiber connections that are 100MB and 1GB

You will need to buy matching optics.  You wont be able to use the 10Gbe optic (all they can upgrade the optic at the other end to 10Gbe).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels