Looking for input on connecting some buildings to our network

JRMcVicker
Conversationalist

Looking for input on connecting some buildings to our network

Good morning.  We have 5 buildings on our campus that we are looking to connect to our corporate network.  The primary connection from the main building to the first will be some kind of Ubiquiti point to point setup.  The distance from the main building to the first is approximately 275ft and there is clear line of sight.

From there we are going to be directional boring between each of the five buildings and installing conduit to run fiber between each location.  At each building we will need probably 8 ports max.  A video door entry system, digital signage, a couple of security cameras and badge access system.  

My initial thought was to install something at the first building with enough SFP ports and home run the fiber from each building to the first building.  I believe I would need 5 ports total.  One for the Ubiquiti hardware and then a connection to the remaining 4 buildings.

Another thought was to daisy chain each of the locations.  Might be a little cheaper with shorter fiber runs between each building. 

estates3.PNG

7 Replies 7
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What are the user requirements at each of those 5 buildings?  Is this a long term solution?

What about a leased line at each building and then install a small MX and auto VPN all traffic back to the main site?  I personally don’t like P2P links.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Yes, this will be a long-term solution.   User requirements are very minimal.  These buildings are independent living apartments.  Each tenant is responsible for their own internet service.  We are bringing each building online for video door entry system, digital signage, a couple of security cameras and badge access system.

I brought up the idea of a leased line to each of the locations or at least one location and then connect all 5 buildings to it but that was rejected.  They did not want to have an ongoing monthly cost.  P2P use was already in place when I came on board at a different location, and I'm told it has proven to be quite reliable for our needs.

K2_Josh
Building a reputation

Your plan is sound, including home runs for fiber.

If you're aiming for cost efficiency of network hardware, I would consider a Mikrotik switch to connect the five buildings via fiber: either the CRS310-1G-5S-4S+IN or the netFiber 9 if wall mounting is more convenient. And then install an MS130 at each of the five buildings, depending on the number of ports needed.

https://mikrotik.com/product/crs310_1g_5s_4s_in
https://mikrotik.com/product/netfiber_9

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How are you planning to run the fibre, is there existing underground infrastructure to support this otherwise I would go with what Darren suggested and run a small MX in each building.

Daisy chaining isn't great in terms of failure because if your first point of contact fails everything downstream goes offline as well. 

I've been told we have hired a company, and they will be directional boring between the five buildings and installing a conduit.  Then the plan as of today is to install a pre terminated fiber between the buildings.

I understand the daisy chaining isn't ideal from a failure standpoint.  Some of this was prearranged before my involvement.  I'm just trying to execute the plan.  

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Since each building has its own internet, why not use Meraki's SD-WAN as suggested by @DarrenOC ? It will make your structure simpler without the need for additional infrastructure.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

We have no service to any of the buildings currently.  I've been told they do not want a monthly bill x5 locations.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels