Locating camera ports that aren't working

SOLVED
bit_transporter
Getting noticed

Locating camera ports that aren't working

We've recently started migrating to MS250s for access, and are fairly new to Meraki. At a remote site, we deployed a stack of MS250s that connect a handful of PoE cameras in addition to computers and phones. We were not aware that Meraki didn't support passive PoE devices, so these cameras are essentially down.

My question is it possible to track down which ports these cameras are connected to? I've tried search by mac/ip, but nothing found - I'm guessing because they're not reporting connectivity. We are not fully accustomed to all the nuances of the Meraki dashboard so I am hoping there's some way to at least narrow down which ports they are on. Since the cams are part of the data vlan, they are not specially marked anywhere, and there are about 180 ports in all. 

It's about 2 hours of driving to get to this site, so we were hoping to have someone already there move these cameras to an appropriate PoE switch. 

Thanks for any advice you could offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the devices have never been connected and are not receiving power then the answer is no, the only option would be to get someone onsite. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @bit_transporter , wouldn’t you see which ports have cameras connected by Vlan assignment?  How long have the switches been in situ?  It can take a little time for the dashboard to learn about it’s connected devices.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

In this particular scenario, the cameras are not on a special VLAN. This network was setup before my time, so they are on the same VLAN as computers and phones. 

We deployed these about 2 weeks ago. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the devices have never been connected and are not receiving power then the answer is no, the only option would be to get someone onsite. 

Thank you. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels