Limit bandwidth on switchport or VLAN on MS355

Solved
tkovac
Here to help

Limit bandwidth on switchport or VLAN on MS355

I've had a search on Google and this forum but can't seem to find a solution that works - is it even possible?

It's simple enough to limit SSID's but I am unable to set the limit on wired clients.

I have created a Group Policy and tried to apply it to my laptop for testing however the limit never applies.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @tkovac , this isn’t possible in the wired LAN unless you have an MX

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

There is no way to enforce traffic shaping on switch ports. If you've got an MX then you can do it upstream on the MX by applying a Group Policy to a VLAN for example, but that's your only real option (obviously upstream appliances from other vendors could potentially do the job too).

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @tkovac , this isn’t possible in the wired LAN unless you have an MX

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks for replying. 

Is there a specific reason for this or is it just something that hasn't been created yet?

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I would guess that the MX appliances and the MR access points do a lot of their packet processing in CPU, due to the nature of what they do, and so limiting/shaping traffic is just part of the software. On the other-hand a lot of what switches do is performed in hardware/ASICs, which is a trade-off in flexibility for performance. I'm guessing that the ASICs in the switches can't do the limiting/shaping, and doing it in software on the CPU would likely cripple the switches. So I doubt you will ever see that capability in the traditional Meraki switches (in the MS390, who knows, that's a different beast).

(The throughput on even the most expensive MX is only 6Gbps, and on a the fastest MR is not going to exceed 10Gbps, whereas a small 24 port MS210 potentially needs to push 56Gbps (plus another 80Gbps for stacking) - hence why its done in ASICs, and thus limits the flexibility). 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels