Limit bandwidth for wired clients

SOLVED
Captain
Getting noticed

Limit bandwidth for wired clients

Dear Community,

How can I limit bandwidth to 5Mb/5Mb per each connected client over wired cable for a specific vlan?

For wireless clients there's a manner doing so by going to Wireless -> Configure -> Firewall & traffic shaping -> Traffic shaping rules -> Per-client bandwidth limit ->  Set desired values ... 

For wired clients I can't find where to configure. 

Best regards,.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Huh... OK, I'm not really clear from the docs if this will do what you want...

My example above stands for per-client rate limiting on a VLAN, but to aggregate the entire VLAN into one maximum... I would try this under Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & Traffic shaping:

image.png

The doc here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_Shaping_a_Local_Subnet_or_H...

Seems to indicate that this would provide per-VLAN rate limiting.. But I can't say I've ever tried this. We just limit per-client using the method I posted above. 

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny if the Traffic Shaping policy works?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

That can't be done on the wired side unless you have a MX to do this in the SD-WAN and traffic shaping.

Capture.PNG

Enthusiast

Hi,

I do have. 

Can you please share instructions as per my specific needs?

Best regards. 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Captain 

You can do this by applying a GP to a VLAN on an MX network.

Created your GP under Network wide > Group policies with a rate limiter:

image.png

And then you can apply the GP to a VLAN under Security & SD-WAN > Addressing & VLANs:

image.png

Okay.

Sorry this is not clear:

The limit set in Bandwidth -> use custom bandwidth limit

Is applied per entire vlan ?

or

Per each client connected in that vlan?

To me it seems like it is per entire vlan... I am looking for how to limit per client in a vlan.

Let's say I have a vlan called "wiredGuests" with vlan id 100 or whatever... 

I would like to limit that entire vlan to 10/10 Mb 

and for each client within that vlan wired connected - as well limit to 1/1 Mb 

Best regards

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Captain The method I presented will limit each client on that VLAN to 5Mbps (both up and down). It will not limit the entire VLAN to 5Mbps.

I think that's what you want?

Let's say I have a vlan called "wiredGuests" with vlan id 100 or whatever... 

I would like to limit that entire vlan to 10/10 Mb 

and for each client within that vlan wired connected - as well limit to 1/1 Mb 

OK, sorry, that's a bit different. the VLAN to 10/10 with clients to 1/1 wasn't in your original post. That can be done, one second...

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Huh... OK, I'm not really clear from the docs if this will do what you want...

My example above stands for per-client rate limiting on a VLAN, but to aggregate the entire VLAN into one maximum... I would try this under Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & Traffic shaping:

image.png

The doc here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_Shaping_a_Local_Subnet_or_H...

Seems to indicate that this would provide per-VLAN rate limiting.. But I can't say I've ever tried this. We just limit per-client using the method I posted above. 

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny if the Traffic Shaping policy works?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @jdsilva for the assistance. I got busy with a switch here and couldn't get to @Captain  

Enthusiast

Hi,

I just opened a case to have that clarification

And Meraki confirms that Bandwidth limit that is either applied by Group Policy on a vlan or applied by Traffic Shaping rule on a subnet is a per-flow/client limit, and not an entire vlan/subnet limit.

The only way to apply a ' per-vlan ' limit is on an SSID

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels