Layer3 MS Switch terminating Management-VLAN

SOLVED
whistleblower
Getting noticed

Layer3 MS Switch terminating Management-VLAN

hi all,

I`d like to know whether the following requirement can be implemented - a MS350 (physical stacked) should act a Layer3 LAN gateway for some IP-subnets and one of these IP-Subnets should participate as transition network in OSPF-Routing -> please have a look on the attached sketch! -> so far I hope this could be made up and is no problem... 🙂

the question for me is now, if the MS350-Stack is also serving IP-Adresses via DHCP for the other Meraki devices out of the MGMT-VLAN would this work?

reading through that documentation it`s not recommended... 😕

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

whistleblower_0-1603443754614.png

I hope someone can help and I thank you for your support in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use a dot1Q trunk from your L3 stack to your perimeter router, carrying two VLANs;   one purely for management of the L3 switches, the other as a transit for all other traffic routing through/by the L3 stack.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes - don't do that:    "Avoid configuring a L3 interface for the management vlan."

You can only serve DHCP if you have configured a L3 interface.

Try using a different management VLAN for all the downstream devices (for which you can serve DHCP) - with a dedicated VLAN for management of the routing switches.

@GreenMan wrote:

Try using a different management VLAN for all the downstream devices (for which you can serve DHCP) - with a dedicated VLAN for management of the routing switches.

what do you mean exactly with that, maybe you can give me an example?

Use a dot1Q trunk from your L3 stack to your perimeter router, carrying two VLANs;   one purely for management of the L3 switches, the other as a transit for all other traffic routing through/by the L3 stack.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels