Layer 3 Switch To Replace ISP Router

Solved
Drew_F
Comes here often

Layer 3 Switch To Replace ISP Router

I read similar topics and think I have a grasp on things but still have a question regarding this scenario and the management IP of the switch performing the ISP routing. The management IP cannot have a gateway of it's own L3 interfaces nor can it be the same IP address as one of those interfaces, correct? So in this scenario would I need to increase the /30 to a /29 so the management IP can be unique? That or have an access port on the management VLAN the connects to the MX LAN? Any help is greatly appreciated.MS350 as Router.png

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is my understanding of the management IP correct and if I’m unable to get a /29 for the WAN segment I’d need to put the management IP on a VLAN with internet access behind the MX?

That is the case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Go for the /29.  It will be reliable and problem free.

Thanks for the quick reply Philip.  Is my understanding of the management IP correct and if I’m unable to get a /29 for the WAN segment I’d need to put the management IP on a VLAN with internet access behind the MX?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is my understanding of the management IP correct and if I’m unable to get a /29 for the WAN segment I’d need to put the management IP on a VLAN with internet access behind the MX?

That is the case.

That is what I thought but just wanted to make sure.  Thanks again!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels