Layer 3 Stack with Public IP Uplink

stevelarsen
Comes here often

Layer 3 Stack with Public IP Uplink

I was able to get the stack online with an existing network which has DHCP. The stack obtained a 172 LAN IP and a Public IP ending .100

ms350 stack > switch (dhcp) > firewall > isp1

Once the stack was a success with IPS1 I need to move it over to a new network where it would be directly connected to the ISP2 link where no DHCP exists. If I configure the Uplink on the stack to use the new Public IP ending .178 the switch that is connected to the uplink works but the other one does not work. The LAN IP is also showing as the .178 address in this case.

ms350 stack > isp2

Is it possible to create a stack with a public IP uplink configuration and what else might need to be configured to make this setup work?

5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can create 3 types of the stack:

1 - Understanding Physical Stacking

Physical Stacking helps provide easy management and physical redundancy. Utilizing two physical stacking ports on the back of each switch, a stack can provide for gateway redundancy at layer 3 and dual-homing redundancy at layer 2. Only a single uplink is required to provide connectivity to the stack once all stacking cables are installed.

2- Understanding Flexible Stacking

Availability and redundancy are most helpful at the distribution layer of a network. On MS420 and MS425 series switches, any two ports can be configured as stack ports. This allows for a full redundancy setup for your gateway and minimizes the impact of a failure in the network.

3 - Understanding Virtual Stacking

With the MS product, it's very easy to manage and deploy hundreds of ports on a network. This is made possible via the use of Virtual Stacking, which is the ability to easily push configuration to hundreds of ports in the network regardless of where the switches are physically located.

For the first two, you need to connect the switches directly.

In the third (virtual stack), you can configure multiple geographically separated switch ports at the same time, but both do not share any settings.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

MS 350 supports Virtual Stacking and Physical Stacking.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Its not very common to use public ip for switch management.  With meraki every switch need a unique  IP address so it can build a management tunnel. Normally this would be a private range address behind a nat device(firewall/router).

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Management-VLAN/m-p/19025#M1520

stevelarsen
Comes here often

Not common is different to not possible. Are you saying that using an uplink which is a public ip is not possible in the meraki stack configuration?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@stevelarsen it is probably possible, have you assigned one public IP to each switch and set the gateway to the ISPs device? 

Is each switch directly connected to the ISP device, or via a basic L2 switch?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels