L3 routing on multiple switches

SOLVED
JohnM
Here to help

L3 routing on multiple switches

Suppose I have 4 identical MS225 switches around my building, if I want these switches to do my L3 routing among our various VLANs, I think I have to assign an SVI (a Layer 3 VLAN interface) on each switch.

Question is -- for the clients connected to these switches, does each one have to be assigned a different default gateway for its connected switch? So I'd be running DHCP servers on each switch as well, so anything connected gets the correct gateway? Does Meraki auto-share DHCP scopes?

This seems very foreign to me, I'm used to having routers that route and switches that switch, but I recognize the benefits of L3 switches in theory in terms of backplane speed and capacity -- it's just the devil in the details.

Or, am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

What you want to do is have 1 switch as your core and have it do the DHCP/routing/VLANs/etc from there. So the other switches just do switching and have your "CORE" as the default gateway that they go back to. You can have all your DHCP scopes there on your CORE switch.

Enthusiast

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

What you want to do is have 1 switch as your core and have it do the DHCP/routing/VLANs/etc from there. So the other switches just do switching and have your "CORE" as the default gateway that they go back to. You can have all your DHCP scopes there on your CORE switch.

Enthusiast
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

ms225 does not support dhcp itself. but you can ofc forward request or connect a dhcp server

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@wwThe MS225 48p that we have has the option for DHCP server

generalroutes.PNG

Enthusiast
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobi  i did know know. then the site is reporting wrong info.?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Suppose I have 4 identical MS225 switches around my building, if I want these switches to do my L3 routing among our various VLANs

Unless there is a huge number of users around your building, I would centralise the routing on a pair of core switches and control everything from there.

JohnM
Here to help

Thanks to all for replying, I didn't receive notification of thread replies hence the delay.

It sounds like in my structure, I might be better off having each switch do its own thing (multiple VLANs), since I can't logically break out the areas to have one or two core switches. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels