L3 on MS225

SOLVED
leadtheway
Building a reputation

L3 on MS225

So I notice on the 225 it gives me option for L3 routing. I've only used the 350 to do L3 before, mostly for ISP handoff/dmz type stuff.  A similar issue has arose and I'm trying to determine if i can do the same thing on the 225.  Here's my scenario

ISP give us a /30 WAN and /29 LAN block, so on the 350 I can create two L3 interfaces, one for each subnet, then put a zero route in to point to the /30 GW. Then that Vlan I created for the /29 subnet acts as DMZ and I just put switchports that need to go to edge equipment in that vlan and assign IPs out of that /29 block.. Can i do the same on the 225?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nope, It supports L3 routing, and limited Layer 3 capabilities like inter-VLAN connectivity - they don't have full Layer 3 routing abilities.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nope, It supports L3 routing, and limited Layer 3 capabilities like inter-VLAN connectivity - they don't have full Layer 3 routing abilities.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

leadtheway
Building a reputation

dang, i knew there was something. Thanks for the quick response

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I guess you can.

The restrictions that you have with a 210/225 family switch are:

- Maximum 16 SVI's

- Only static routing

- No DHCP server

- No multicast routing

So if your hosts don't need NAT and you can keep below said SVI's then you should be fine.

MS225's just have limited Layer 3 capabilities like inter-VLAN connectivity - they don't have full Layer 3 routing abilities.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

(And max 16 static routes.)

The challenge with meraki switches is that it needs the management ip in the vlan of the default route. Or at least the gateway of the management ip cant be a svi itself. (Im not sure if the dashboard forces you to do this) in that case the /30 is not big enough

But that is with every model

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Layer_3_Switching_and_Routing#Layer_3_Inter...

leadtheway
Building a reputation

hmm, well we have an MX in place which ultimately would be doing the NAT.  So sounds like it can?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels