Is there a service interruption if you change the root bridge?

Announcer
Getting noticed

Is there a service interruption if you change the root bridge?

After taking some Meraki learning hub courses, I've noticed that our slowest switch 10/100 is the root bridge.  If I want to change this to the core Meraki switch, will there be a service interruption at all?

thanks.

5 Replies 5
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes - assume there will be a network-wide outage

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In theory it should only last about 30 seconds, but plan for a few minutes.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Announcer , The network will need to re-convergence once you change the Root Bridge.  From your new Root make sure you configure the uplinks from this switch to the upstream switches to STP Guard - Root Guard.  Then downstream from the edge to core uplinks set those to STP Guard - Loop Guard

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When changing root bridge, from my experience there may not always be an outage, but always assume there will be and prepare accordingly

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As long as you don't have a circle of switches the outage should be quite minor.

RSTP reconverges by blocking the links between two switches while sending a proposal BPDU and the other switch should immediately send a response if it agrees.

If you have a good star topology the outage should be minimal (less than 2 seconds).  If you have a circle you could experience a count to infinity issue where you go down for a while before the topology can resolve itself.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels