Aggregate between 2 switch stacks

Announcer
Getting noticed

Aggregate between 2 switch stacks

I have 2 switch stacks.  One stack of 3 switches with the core switch here (stack A).  The other stack is a stack of 2 (stack B).  If I want to create an aggregate between the two stacks, is it better to:

take 2 ports from one of the switches in StackB to 2 ports to the core switch(stackA) 

or

take 1 port from each of the 2 switches in StackB to 2 ports on the core switch(statckA)

Or does it even matter?

thanks all.

2 Replies 2
Announcer
Getting noticed

Thanks @alemabrahao , I have the stacks setup correctly.  I want to create an aggregate ports connections between the 2 different stacks so they can communicate.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want to ensure that your network remains operational even if one switch in Stack B fails, it would be better to take 1 port from each of the 2 switches in Stack B to 2 ports on the core switch (Stack A). This way, if one switch in Stack B fails, the other switch can still maintain the connection.

If your switches support link aggregation (also known as port trunking or teaming), you could potentially increase the throughput between the stacks by using multiple ports. In this case, either option could work, but you’d need to ensure that the switches are properly configured to take advantage of this feature.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels