I need a Meraki MS switch with dedicated management port

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I need a Meraki MS switch with dedicated management port

Hello, I need a list of MS switches which have a dedicated management port for a special project. Or: how and where I can see (online) if the switch has such an port?

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, why would you need a dedicated management port?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Oly the managed port should be in the entire network.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I need this for a WAN solution. We replace the Cisco Catalyst switches, they have an own management-port to avoid traffic from WAN comes to intranet. So the ports are WAN but the managementport ist in LAN.

I'm sorry, I think that you can achieve it with MS 225.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/MS_Overview_and_Specifications/MS225_Overview_and_Specifications

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Boyan1
Getting noticed

Why does it matter if the management port is a "physical thing" like an RJ45 jack that you plug a cord into and call it "management" traffic or simply an "internal RJ45 logical port" that you don't see but it's the same thing -- a management VLAN? 

Ryan_Pascoe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @redsector , I think you are meaning a kind of WAN breakout switch? Meraki switches just need a way to get to the internet for dashboard management on its Logical Management IP. You can just connect a physical port to the LAN of the site for dashboard access and prune VLAN's accordingly to avoid bridging networks.

In the case that you are connecting internet services if the switch can get an IP on the CE/PE subnet i.e. ISP provides a /29 then this can work for management. In the case you are using MPLS the same applies provided you can get to the internet on your MPLS network. 

We do have the concept of an Alternative Management Interface which is a logical (not physical) interface for sending RADIUS/SNMP and Syslog messages via an alternative path - but is only supported on MS210 and above

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Alternate_Management_Interface_on_MS_Devices

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels