How to identify what device or mac-address is connected to specific port of Meraki Switch?

ryanperez11
Conversationalist

How to identify what device or mac-address is connected to specific port of Meraki Switch?

How to identify what device or mac-address is connected to specific port of Meraki Switch? I could not trace it physically. Is there a way to know what device is connected to the port of the switch? Thanks.

5 Replies 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There's a few ways.

Under Network-wide -> clients, you can filter for "connected to" in the search box and filter for the switch you're looking for. You can also add "port" as a table column.

Another way is to go to the switch itself (Switching -> Switches -> Select the switch), and go to Tools and click "Run" for MAC forwarding table

Another way is to go to the switch port (Switching -> Switches -> Select the switch -> select the port), and scroll down to "Current clients" for the port

Arthamon
Getting noticed

Client page would be the fastest and easiest for sure. Just search for your host name or MAC as @Brash styes above

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you already know the mac address, You can also search on top of the dashboard

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Dashboard_Search_2.0

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can also check the Forwarding Table.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Using_the_MS_Live_Tools#Forwarding_Tabl...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Go to the switch, click on the port and look at the clients.
If the client is a bit more silent then you could go to the mac-address table in the tools page and filter on port.

In the extreme case you have very quite clients you could add port-security sticky to that port and just see after a while what mac addresses were added on the port.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels