How to change Management vlan

SOLVED
kmusk01
New here

How to change Management vlan

We just purchased a large amount if Meraki gear for 3 different locations.  I am in the process of learning the "Meraki" way, and really struggling.  I come from a full Cisco shop, and only used to the CLI, so not having that is different.

Our current setup are really, really old Cisco 2950s that run a flat vlan1 😞  We are moving that over to full Meraki with correct vlans.  I am trying to pre-build as many Meraki switches as I can, so that when it comes time to install we have little down time.  My issue is getting MGMT vlan working.  I can get it working on vlan1, but that vlan will not exist

Below are screenshots of what I have.  Technically the transit vlan86 is going to my current core XR, which then defaults out to FTD for inet.  This is how I am able to pre-build my vlan87 for MGMT and still connect to the Dashboard. 

when we install.default_route.pngtemp_transit.pngmgmt_vlan.png

I have a MS-250 switch that will be my new stacked core.  This will have all my SVIs on it including a transit vlan to FTD.

My issue is this new core MS-250 switch has DHCP enabled for my new MGMT vlan 87, and a downstream Meraki switch will grab an IP as it should, and I can see it in the dashboard.  What I can't see is this core MS-250 switch....  I have globally set management to vlan 87, and on each switch told it to use DHCP in vlan 87.  Only a downstream switch grabs and IP.  How do I get the core switch to get an IP?  I tried to static it, but the gateway would be itself and doesn't work.  My default route works which is my new transit vlan.  If it didn't then the downstream switch would never come online and it does.

I have tried switching the trunk links from native 87, to no native at all, and can never get this core switch to come online.  I am just confused at how the management vlan for Meraki works at the first switch.  I am soooo close to not letting Meraki be the core switch and keeping my stacked XRs the core, but defeats my goal of all Meraki....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are 2 options described in this post https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Management-VLAN/m-p/19025#M1520

In short:

Use a seperate  layer2 vlan from your firewall/router for all switches.

Or use ip addresses on the coreswitch in the transit vlan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are 2 options described in this post https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Management-VLAN/m-p/19025#M1520

In short:

Use a seperate  layer2 vlan from your firewall/router for all switches.

Or use ip addresses on the coreswitch in the transit vlan

Hmmm, so if I am understanding this correctly I would need to do the following:

On my core Meraki switch

- keep my "Temp-Transit" vlan86 as pictured above

- keep my "MGMT" vlan87 as pictured above

- keep my default route as pictured above

- keep my DHCP on for the MGMT vlan

- On the switch IP settings page static this an IP in the same range as my "Transit-Temp" vlan86.. ?  This to me puts the core Meraki switch in vlan86 which is the transit vlan, and not in the mgmt vlan87 like all the other switches would be.  Seems rather odd.

Thanks for that link as that is one I had not read when searching around before I decided to post.

Ken~

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The benefit of it is that the management traffic is not routed by itself. So if something breaks your svi or routing you will still be able to manage your layer3 switch.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ww  is spot on.

The core switch can't have a management IP that it itself is the default gateway of.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels