How to VRRP on MS Switches?

Solved
Snika
Getting noticed

How to VRRP on MS Switches?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

I've read the VRRP guide.
Will VRRP work if I enable warm spare?
On non-Meraki products, when configuring VRRP, you need a Real IP and a Virtual IP.
In which menu should I set the Real IP and Virtual IP on Meraki?

1 Accepted Solution
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you use warm spare then yes you will run VRRP.  On Meraki you don't need separate IP's in their VRRP deployment.  You only define the used IP and that's it.

I also go with Philip and ask why you still want to use a classic switching design instead of the simplified campus architecture using stacked (physical or virtual) switches.

We know the MS425 is going EOS soon so if you would need stacking on switches that are remote then you would need to use the C9500 switches with perhaps Meraki monitoring to get this to work.  Else C9300 core's or any MS2x, 3x will do the trick for local physical stacking.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, check this document.

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2014/06/high-availability-for-cisco-meraki-switches/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Going sideways - you don't see many deployments using VRRP on MS.

Is there a reason you can't use simple stacking?

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you use warm spare then yes you will run VRRP.  On Meraki you don't need separate IP's in their VRRP deployment.  You only define the used IP and that's it.

I also go with Philip and ask why you still want to use a classic switching design instead of the simplified campus architecture using stacked (physical or virtual) switches.

We know the MS425 is going EOS soon so if you would need stacking on switches that are remote then you would need to use the C9500 switches with perhaps Meraki monitoring to get this to work.  Else C9300 core's or any MS2x, 3x will do the trick for local physical stacking.

Snika
Getting noticed

Snika_0-1713691324571.png

You're right

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels