How do I restart a dormant switch

Martinsen
New here

How do I restart a dormant switch

We recently had flooding and our power went out for over a week, The small switch in which the fiber came into was under water.  The city has replaced the switch with fiber coming in and it is providing internet.  We have 2 brand new Meraki switches and they have both gone dormant (I assume from not having power for a period of time.  Since then the internet coming into the building is now up and running but the 2 switches will not provide any internet.  Any ideas how to get the 2 switches out of dormancy?  I have power cycled both switches and they are providing power, but no internet.

6 Replies 6
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

If the switches are still showing up as "dormant" in your dashboard , you will have to dispatch someone to cycle and look at the connections. 

Dormant means that the device is unreachable from the cloud for a long period. Can't be reach from the cloud = can't be managed.

I have checked the connections and the internet coming into the switches.  Internet is working fine.  I have also power cycled the switches, but the internet is not coming back online.  I have also started a case with Meraki.

Hi @Martinsen ,

As @PhilipDAth  has mentioned. The best option is to check the local status page on the switch. If all ok, then factory reset them.

Cheers,

Ivan Jukić,
Meraki APJC

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If it solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Arthamon
Getting noticed

What is upstream of the switches? Router? Firewall? Any changes upstream?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check the local status page on the switch to see what it is complaining about.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_Me...

Failing that, try giving the switches a factory reset.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you plug directly into your upstream firewall/router can you access the internet? I suspect something else is causing the issue not the switches themselves. 

Meraki gear is usually pretty good at finding a path to the internet. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels