How can I create VLANs on MS-220 switch?

SOLVED
fjulianom
Getting noticed

How can I create VLANs on MS-220 switch?

Hi community,

I am completely new in Meraki technology. I have a customer with a access switch MS-220 and a core switch MS-350. I can see in the core switch some created VLANs with their respective subnets and I think they can be created from Switch > Configure > Routing and DHCP menu. But I found no menu and no option to create VLANs on the access switch MS-220. I have seen the documentation where says how to add a VLAN to an access/trunk port, but I only want to know how to create a VLAN ID and its VLAN name, as I have done with Cisco and other vendor switches. I think is very simple but I don't find the option. Please help.

Many thanks in advance,

Julián

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Hey @fjulianom, The MS220 is a layer 2 switch. VLAN's cannot be created on the switch as per the MS350/other layer 3 switches as they do not perform inter-VLAN (Layer 3 capabilities).

To assign certain VLAN's to different ports on the MS220, Switch>Switch Ports>Click on the port. Change the Type to your desired (Trunk, Access) and then tag the VLAN appropriately.

If you're connecting a MS220 to a M350 and wanting all the VLAN's created on the MS350 to pass over to the MS220, just ensure that the trunk ports on both the MS220 and MS350 ends allow for these VLAN's to transverse over them.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Hey @fjulianom, The MS220 is a layer 2 switch. VLAN's cannot be created on the switch as per the MS350/other layer 3 switches as they do not perform inter-VLAN (Layer 3 capabilities).

To assign certain VLAN's to different ports on the MS220, Switch>Switch Ports>Click on the port. Change the Type to your desired (Trunk, Access) and then tag the VLAN appropriately.

If you're connecting a MS220 to a M350 and wanting all the VLAN's created on the MS350 to pass over to the MS220, just ensure that the trunk ports on both the MS220 and MS350 ends allow for these VLAN's to transverse over them.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Hi WANKiller,

That's weird and should be a limitation of Meraki because I have created VLANs (no VLAN interfaces) on Layer 2 switches of Cisco and other vendors. Though I know this switch cannot perform inter-VLAN routing.

Thanks for the recommendation, that's exactly what I want to do. Many thanks.

Regards,

Julián

Most switch vendors require you to explicitly define the VLANs.

Meraki removed this requirement.  Simply configuring something to use a VLAN is enough to have it created behind the scenes.  It does seem pretty obvious - if you configure something to use a VLAN that you configure it if it does not exist.  They call this "Merakifying" .

Hi Philip,

You are right. The downside of this is you don't know what VLANs are created for if you cannot assign a name for them, specially if you have many VLANs. On the other hand, is there any menu option where you see the list of VLANs the switch is using? Or is the only option to check every interface to see what VLANs is associated with?

Regards,

Julián

@fjulianom, I completely agree about the lack of ability to give the VLANs names.  I tend to put the information in the "Notes" section of the core switch.

Hi Philip,

Good idea! I didn't know about section, I will use it. Many thanks!

Regards,

Julián

Hello WANKiller

And what if I want the vlans created on core pass over to the MS220 and then to a non-Meraki switch, assuming that the MS220 does not have any port assigned in the vlan that I want to pass?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels