High Proportion of CRC errors

Bossnine
Building a reputation

High Proportion of CRC errors

I've read a few threads on this but my question/concern is slightly different.  We are slowly migrating to Meraki switches since we have essentially all Meraki APs.  Two schools that we have done we went ahead and replaced the Cisco 10Gb sfps with Meraki branded ones (since that is the recommendation - even if its the same part essentially) and since doing so I have random ports throwing the High CRC error on the router side of the connections.  Occasionally it will go away, then come back.  Replaced with another new SFP with no success on both ends.

Fiber is the same as before the install.  I can only think the new optics were dirty and not properly dusted before install and that is my next step, but anyone else have this issue with Meraki branded SFPs?

Before we replaced the SFPs and still had the Cisco branded ones we didn't see any issues, it was more of a "hey we bought this might as well use them' situation.

5 Replies 5
cwf
Getting noticed

You could analyze the heck out of it or you could put two original SFPs back in on a switch that seems to be trowing errors the most consistently and see if the errors go away.

I've never had a problem with Cisco or Meraki branded SFPs but I have had issues with some 3rd party brands.

The biggest gotcha is to be sure you have the same part# SFPs on both ends. 

Bossnine
Building a reputation

We will be putting the Cisco SFP back in to see if it goes away for sure, just curious why it has now happened on two of the locations almost immediately after swapping SFPs. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Bossnine  If you swap back to the Cisco modules can you confirm the issue goes away? Are you using the same patch leads?

If so I would open a support case and ask them to look into it. It may be worth giving everything a good clean as well just to rule that out.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

These can be difficult to crack.

You mention 10Gbe.  Are you using a 10Gbe SFP to a router?  That is pretty hard core for a router ...

If the router is getting out-paced with load it may be corrupting frames.

Are you using a recent MS firmware?  There have been bugs in the past causing this issue.

What grade of fibre are you using (OM3, OM4, OS2, etc), how long do you think it is, and what is the actual model of SFP+ you are using?

Bossnine
Building a reputation

I considered that but the issue wasn't there with the Cisco branded SFP and looking at load its not anywhere near what should cause any issues. Yes, my first step (after replacing the SFP) was to update to the just released 11.30 code....no change.

I would have to verify what fiber is in place, it was here way before I was but this particular run is probably only about 150', not a long distance by an means.

The Meraki SFP is this model FTLX1371D3BCL-C1 (MA-SFP-10G-LRM) replacing the Cisco Part SFBR-7600SDZ-CS3

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels