Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving DHCP with the MS350-24X

SOLVED
Highlighted
Here to help

Giving DHCP with the MS350-24X

Hello everyone. In a situation with 20 AP's MR84 and only a one public IP, I like giving DHCP with the MS350-24X to all the APs and their respective clients? What would be the best configuration ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kind of a big deal

Re: Giving DHCP with the MS350-24X

Yes, you need a router/security device in the middle. An MX series device would be a good choice.

You can choose a model from this page that is suitable based on the number of users that you have.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/appliances#models

It may also be possible to pay for service provider an extra fee and have them put in a managed firewall/router for you.

10 REPLIES 10
Kind of a big deal

Are they all going to be used in the same VLAN?  Is this for guest WiFi?  Are you also using an MX to connect to the Internet?  If so, I would run DHCP off the MX appliance.

Here to help

Thanks for the reply Philip can be in the same vlan and also not be I'm not using an MX Thanks
Kind of a big deal

If the device providing Internet access is in the same VLAN then just use that for DHCP.
Here to help

Thank you Philip for your reply, i have this scenario: my isp provides me with one unique public IP and no DHCP they say me their device doesn't support DHCP so i can connect one only device directly to internet forcing me to install a router or in this case the Meraki MS350-24X. I have configured a DHCP server on vlan 10 on the MS350 and a interface with the public ip like  gateway, trying to use it like a bridge between both networks but  i get the MR84 connected on the MS350's DHCP Pool but they can´t reach the internet so i need help with this configuration, can you help me with this? tahnk you again. and best regards.

A model citizen

Did you make sure to set up a route to the public? Should be something along the lines of:

Name: Default route

Subnet: 0.0.0.0/0

Next hop IP: Public IP address

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Kind of a big deal

Does the ISP do NAT for you?  It sounds like the answer is no.  If not then you need a device that can do NAT, like an MX65.  Choose an MX from this page that is big enough to support the number of users you have.

Here to help

ms350.JPG

This is a printscreen of the MS350-24X:

the first interface is to get the switch into the subnet of the isp modem with the ip 192.168.1.3

the second is the dhcp pool i created to conect the MR84 as dhcp clients of the switch

the third is the static route to the internal isp modem ip. (here i should change it for the external  ip instead the internal?).

this is the config i tried but with no success.

thank you in advance and excuse me for my poor english.

Here to help

Thank you for your reply Philips, and the answer is no, my isp is not doing NAT, its means that i need a Router in the mittle, don,t you?

A model citizen

A MX device in the middle would definitely help you out!

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you need a router/security device in the middle. An MX series device would be a good choice.

You can choose a model from this page that is suitable based on the number of users that you have.

It may also be possible to pay for service provider an extra fee and have them put in a managed firewall/router for you.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.