Firmware Upgrade for devices attached to a config Template.

SOLVED
ShubhamPatki
New here

Firmware Upgrade for devices attached to a config Template.

Hello all,

I have to upgrade Firmware on the Switches in the network. The thing is all the networks are attached to a template. We plan to do a staged approach as upgrading 100+ switches at the same time won't be possible.

I believe that unbinding a network, then upgrading and then binding it back should work.

Is there a document that can confirm this? Or any other way we can do a distributed approach as I can not select the devices individually to schedule the upgrades.

TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your unbind, upgrade, bind approach will not work. The target-firmware is bound to the network/template and not to the device. The moment you bind the network back to the template it will revert back to the firmware version configured for the template.

The only solution I see is splitting your setup into multiple templates or accept that the upgrade will be done for all networks at the same time (well, same time local to the network).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your unbind, upgrade, bind approach will not work. The target-firmware is bound to the network/template and not to the device. The moment you bind the network back to the template it will revert back to the firmware version configured for the template.

The only solution I see is splitting your setup into multiple templates or accept that the upgrade will be done for all networks at the same time (well, same time local to the network).

Hello Karstenl,

Thanks for the info. I got in touch with the support and they are saying that the only workaround to achieve this without disturbing the template is to use their backdoor help. They have the ability to mark individual networks/switches to the desired version apart from the template. We will be going by that route I guess. As splitting the template for individual network kind of creates extra unnecessary confusion and complexion I think.

Thanks for your thought though. It was very helpful.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't tried it with templates, but are you able to use the stage firmware tool for MS?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Staged_Firmware_Upgrades_for_Meraki_MS_Switches 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels