Failed Catalyst 9300 Meraki Conversion

Solved
JimYorke
Conversationalist

Failed Catalyst 9300 Meraki Conversion

Hello all,

I have a Cisco Catalyst 9300 that was migrated to Meraki that is not working. It is in the dashboard but I cannot connect to it no matter how I connect it to the network.  I really need to factory reset it but this dang BOOT_DEVICE_MODE is set to meraki will not let me bypass it to get into the cli to do anything.  Is there a way to bypass this?  I have held down the mode button on boot, pressed it three times once the switch LED begins flashing, etc.. but I cannot get past it.  Any suggestions welcome as I have an unusable switch at this point.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it doesn't show as online in the dashboard, and you have factory reset it, make sure it is plugged into an upstream network port that can get a DHCP address and has access to the Internet (basically, you should be able to plug a notebook into that same upstream network port and access the Internet).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look at this.

Cisco Cloud Management for Catalyst (youtube.com)

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does it show as online in the dashboard?

When you say "I cannot connect to it", do you mean via SSH/telnet?  If you converted it to "Meraki Managed" mode, you can no longer manage it locally.  Those interfaces are gone.  If you used "Meraki Monitored" mode, those interfaces are still available.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it doesn't show as online in the dashboard, and you have factory reset it, make sure it is plugged into an upstream network port that can get a DHCP address and has access to the Internet (basically, you should be able to plug a notebook into that same upstream network port and access the Internet).

JimYorke
Conversationalist

Just as a follow up after working on this for quite a while discovered that I had BPDU guard enabled on both trunk ports and either switch that I connected it to would disable port.  After making sure RSTP was enabled and STP guard disabled the switch was able to connect to network and then to the dashboard.  Once connected it allowed me to access it and configure.  

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @JimYorke , so the conversion from Cisco IOS to Meraki Cloud worked?

Well done for sticking with it and resolving your issue.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels