Dual Media taking a SFP and copper port

MXanderson
Here to help

Dual Media taking a SFP and copper port

I have a wierd issue I haven't seen before and can't find an answer for online. Ports 21-24(copper) are using a dual media mode taking ports 25-28(SFP modules). I can't seem to seperate the ports, so it's losing 4 ports. I didn't change anything, and since I am currently not using the SFP ports it wasn't a big issue. I recently turned off all extra ports so when I disabled port 23(not the uplink thankfully) it turned off both ports(23 and 27). Anyone seen this problem before? Thanks, Mike Anderson

MerakiDualMedia.JPG

5 Replies 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MXanderson  According to the Datasheet for the MS220 series this is normal.

• 24 x 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet RJ45 (4 shared with SFP)

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_ms_220_320_only.pdf

Thank you for the information. I didn't check the datasheet. I will look there next time first! Cheers, 

Mike Anderson

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Mike,

You may also refer to following Url

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/MS_Switch_SFP_and_SFP__Overview

Excerpts from above Url

The last 4 ports on the MS22, MS22P, MS220-24, and MS220-24P, numbered 21-24, are combination ports that are shared between the RJ45 ports and the SFP interfaces. Only one of these two ports may be in use at a time. For example, if an ethernet cable is connected to the RJ45 port 24 then the SFP port 24 cannot be used. If both ports are occupied, the RJ45 port will take priority.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
ChrisLane
Conversationalist

If I change the Dual Media to SFP only, will that disable the RJ45 port? Thus preventing the RJ45 from taking over if someone mistakenly connects an RJ45 in a port that already had an SFP and is the Uplink?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes that is the idea

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels