Device Reporting Port On Different Switch

DerrickL
Here to help

Device Reporting Port On Different Switch

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me address a very strange issue I'm showing in the Meraki dashboard. I created a virtual machine (VM1) on my VM host (HOST1). HOST1 has a NIC port connected to Port 1 on Switch 1. Switch one is then connected to my Mx100 via SFP. The weird thing is that the Meraki dashboard is telling me that the VM is connected to Port 1 on Switch 2 (Which is a switch stack the connects back to the Mx100 on Port 1). I'm very confused why the dashboard is saying the VM1 (technically HOST1 as well) is connected to a totally different switch port. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

What do you find about the host and VM MAC addresses in the arp tables on both switches? See the "Tools" tab on the switch status page and look for MAC forwarding table.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure HOST1 is strictly only connected to "Switch 1"?

Are you sue the switch names in the dashboard match those of the actual physical switches (you can use the "
flash lights" option or check the serial numbers to make sure)?

@DerrickL The information that you are talkign about where are you getting this from?

Network-Wide >Clients or Switch > Switches ?

I have seem some really funky information in my dashboard for the last month, I had an 8 port switch reporting a client connected to its port 34........

If you click on the actual port your VM host is connected to and look at the client information is it reporting correctly there?

DerrickL
Here to help

All, looks like it was a glitch and now it's reporting normally. Thanks for the assistance.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels