DHCP address for switch?

SOLVED
Karl_Jacobsen
Getting noticed

DHCP address for switch?

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to install my first Meraki switch. This will be a layer 2 access switch only. The rest of my network is Cisco Catalyst. Normally when I setup the Catalyst switches, the switch if given a static address on our switch VLAN that has no Internet access. Needless to say, the Meraki switch will need to access the Internet so I can talk to the Meraki cloud. Would it be best practice to give the switch a static address instead of DHCP? The reason for the static on the Catalyst switch is because I need to access the switch directly through the CLI... not an issue with the Meraki.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I'd def put a reservation on everything on that vlan, just for consistency's sake. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nash
Kind of a big deal

In my opinion, best practice is to use DHCP with reservations. Then if you update your IP settings, you don't have to manually update a million switches.

If you absolutely have to use a static IP, make sure that the switch has access to DHCP via some vlan. That way, if it runs into problems with its static config, it can flood discovery packets on all vlans and get a DHCP address. Then it will retain contact with the Meraki dashboard.

But I really hate static IPs.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

We generally use a Mgmt VLAN, and leave things as DHCP on that VLAN for switch management. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Switch_Settings#Management_VLAN

As said, with Meraki I don't really care what IP they're on, as long as they have an IP, and a mgmt VLAN at least keeps them all in one place. 

Karl_Jacobsen
Getting noticed

Okay.... I'll set them up as DHCP with a reservation on a management VLAN. That's what we've done for all of our AP's because we are using Radius for our staff network and the Radius server needs them tied to a specific address. 

It's funny, the VLAN I'm using was specifically for wireless management. Now that we moved from Cisco wireless to Meraki it's becoming less of a wireless management VLAN and more of a general Meraki VLAN. My MV71's are setup as DHCP with no reservations... Wonder if I should standardize on everything in this VLAN having a reservation? 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I'd def put a reservation on everything on that vlan, just for consistency's sake. 🙂

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I generaly just use DHCP, with no reservations.  You need a reservation when using a third party monitoring system, but if you are not using it - there isn't much point to having a reservation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels