Country/Region of MS120-LP

SOLVED
jlpeifer
Conversationalist

Country/Region of MS120-LP

I purchased a MS120-LP in Switzerland which I later decided not to use. No biggie... I thought... I'll just fly it back to the U.S. and sell it to someone who would benefit. Since returning to the U.S. I've discovered that the device's Country/Region is set to "CH" (Switzerland). If someone in the U.S. were to buy this device, would that Country/Region parameter cause problems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hmm, that's a bummer. I don't expect any problems though when it comes to MS's, afaik there are no region-based limitations.

For MR's the story would be different as the regulatory domain determines what channels can and can't be used. But for those there's also a procedure to change it. More info about that here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/MR_Wireless_Regulatory_Domains

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I don't think so. I have brought back a Meraki MS from the US and I've used it in EU without issues. Where do you see that Country/Region?

Thanks for the response. I added this switch to inventory and saw this... meraki-ch.png

I see. The switch I brought from the US shows as BE in my inventory. I wonder if it will change when you add the switch to a network tied to another region. It may also be set when you add it to a network for the first time.

That's a good point. I did add this to a network when I was in Switzerland. I've since removed it from inventory all-together. Now that I'm back in the States, I'll add it back in and see if it changes the region to US.

jlpeifer
Conversationalist

No Joy... I connected the switch to my U.S. ISP added it to inventory. The region remained CH.

Thanks for the idea, though.

Hmm, that's a bummer. I don't expect any problems though when it comes to MS's, afaik there are no region-based limitations.

For MR's the story would be different as the regulatory domain determines what channels can and can't be used. But for those there's also a procedure to change it. More info about that here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/MR_Wireless_Regulatory_Domains

What country is set under your general settings for the network the switch is on?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

When I remove the switch so that it goes back into Inventory (so that it's available for assignment to any network) the region shows "CH". Best I can tell, Country/Region is not a configurable or changeable option unless it's something that tech support can do.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

The typical recommendation is to have all your equip shipped to the country of use, but as other people said - this is mostly a concern with APs, since there's legal requirements on the radios.

Have you contacted support? They may be able to change the country for you, and then boom problem probably goes away.

I wonder if that field is only there to show what country the device was sold in. Switches are far as I am aware don't have country codes like wireless access points do. 

This is the sense that I'm getting. Thanks for the input.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels