Controversial ? Meraki switches with "Special" SFP+s installed

SOLVED
Thygesen
Building a reputation

Controversial ? Meraki switches with "Special" SFP+s installed

Hi all !! 

We have heard about (nooo.. not us, no way) about an installation where non-meraki/special SFP+ has been used to interconnect some Meraki switches .. 

Back in the days, rumours were, that when ie non-Cisco SFP's were detected in a classic Cisco environment, all support ceased even though it has absolutely nothing with the SFP's to do .. 

What do these fictional installers have to expect from the Meraki crew if ie they were to report RJ45 problems on these fictional switches ?

- No worries: We have a look at it, if it turns out that the problem comes from the "special" sfp's we'll send an invoice

- No way .. Call Your "Special" supplier for help with everything from now on

- Take out the SFP's then we'll talk ?

How about it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thygesen
Building a reputation

@BrechtSchamp 😁

That's not the case, but You are right .. 

I later today discovered a thread : https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Best-Meraki-Compatible-SFP-transceiver-manufacture/m-p/219...

discussing alternatives .. 

They pretty much sum up my experience (especially the last ones) that if You pick carefully, it's the same game.

It's true, it's all OEM'ed and if You choose the same vendor .. well .. quality does not seem to be that different.

And at a 10th / even less of the price, a few spare's isn't a hazzle .. 

But 😉 It's all theoretical, U know .. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I'm going to go with the last option. They'll want to rule out problems with the SFP first and have you replace it with a legit Cisco SFP. It'll be hard to do though as Cisco doesn't have copper SFP+ modules...

Thygesen
Building a reputation

@BrechtSchamp 😁

That's not the case, but You are right .. 

I later today discovered a thread : https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Best-Meraki-Compatible-SFP-transceiver-manufacture/m-p/219...

discussing alternatives .. 

They pretty much sum up my experience (especially the last ones) that if You pick carefully, it's the same game.

It's true, it's all OEM'ed and if You choose the same vendor .. well .. quality does not seem to be that different.

And at a 10th / even less of the price, a few spare's isn't a hazzle .. 

But 😉 It's all theoretical, U know .. 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

My experience in the past with this is usually support will run through basic troubleshooting with you, and still try and help out, but if for any reason the problem could be remotely related to the SFP they will stand down and request that you replace it with an official one. 

Thygesen
Building a reputation

@jdsilva I completely agree .. and quite acceptable and fair too!! 

But it is difficult to get a straight answer .. 

Even when confronted with the spec's of both the switch (for the SFP+ to be compliant with) and the SFP+ supplied .. 

Actually just confronted with the "accepted" usage of mm sfp's running sm for shorter distances .. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels